Tony Note: With the announcement last week of the 6th Annual Mind Capture Boot camp, I went back and found this timely article from a few months ago to serve as a reminder to not only check out our October 13 & 14th event, but to also encourage you to attend other events as well.
One of the enjoyments in life I get is the process of continual learning. Over the last 20-years, after graduating from a four-year university, I keep life-long learning a daily practice. I’ve easily invested over $100,000+ in ongoing training, books, coaching, attending events and hosting my own seminars. I mention this to open this week’s lesson for one main reason: life-long learning to me is a non-negotiable.
One of the biggest areas that most people skip over, downplay or miss out on are the many benefits of attending live meetings and events. In the age of instant communication and the Internet, many people look exclusively online to connect with others. I’ll play the contrarian and quickly make the case as to why I believe attending events is such a wonderful way to continue your personal development journey.
Here are five reasons to make attending live events a part of your professional and business career:
- It exposes you to others that are doing new and unique things. The ideas and best practices shared at many live events from both the presenters and fellow attendees are easily worth the time and admission to most events. I have been to many events over the years where I left with just 2-3 ideas that I gained over a day or two of sessions that I immediately implemented to improve both my life and business.
- You get a chance to work on your business, not in it. Let’s face it, we all need to step away from our work once in a while and take a fresh look at it. Being around others who are seeking to do the same, is not only inspiring but also profitable. I often find at events that many people are going through the same challenges I am. In addition, most attendees are there to help each other and share a common bond. This is hard to replicate on the phone or in online meeting.
- It gives you a chance to recharge your mental batteries. We all need periods of time to regroup and refocus on what really matters. When we get outside our comfort zone and see new things and experiences it opens up our mind to not just look at new ideas and wisdom, but also get inspired to make the most of them by taking action. Implementation is one of the big takeaways many people get when they leave an event because they are surrounded by other ‘Go-Getters’ that get things done, versus making excuses.
- Pick up great new ideas from others. The amount of sharing and access to top leaders at an event is simply unprecedented. I’ve gone to events in year’s past just to have the chance to meet with someone face-to-face that I’ve been trying to connect with for years. It often works and as an added bonus I also meet other new people that are just as interesting and worth getting to know. Many times the conversation with someone on a break or during a group exercise leads to not just a new connection, but also business and friendships that can last for years.
- Get unstuck and receive constructive feedback. I’d much rather have a respected peer coach me through or give advice regarding a challenge or opportunity than people closest to me or outside my industry. This isn’t meant to be negative to those I work with or my family and friends, but many times we aren’t comfortable seeking advice for fear of them instantly judging us, or giving us unqualified advice. One of my business coaches uses the term ‘tough love’ and it’s spot on. He seeks to push me towards improvement and he’s candid to not sugarcoat areas that I could be improving in and others that I should spend less time on.
I hope this week’s message not only gave you some new insights, but that it also inspires you to break out of your shell and register soon to attend a live event near you. It could be the vital step that produces multiple benefits you didn’t foresee for your life and career.
Hope to see many of you reading this weekly message at the Bootcamp this October 13th & 14th in Grand Rapids, MI: http://mindcapturebootcamp.com/