This week’s selection is A New Earth – Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. In this book, Tolle takes a deeper look at why the present moment is of such importance. I read his first book, The Power of Now and it struck a major chord within me. In a sped up, always on world, being present and focused in the moment is becoming harder and harder to achieve.
In this follow up work, Tolle digs deeper into how to make the most of each moment. I’ll admit this book isn’t for everyone. It may connect or it may not. You’ll know in the first few pages, however, I think the lessons and wisdom in the book is worth reading. I often find that reading this book each year reminds me of things I’m doing well to stay on track and other areas of my personal development that I continue to work on getting better at.
Under the Cover
- Here are a few key areas discussed in the book:
- How to view time in a whole new perspective
- How to tame the ego or voice in our mind to stay focused
- The benefits of listening to our inner self or intuition
- Why letting go of labels and expectations is often a wise idea
- Effective ways to calm the mind and tune into peace and awareness
- The danger of TV and digital distraction and how to handle it
Here’s a great quote on page 235.
“Many poets and sages throughout the ages have observed that true happiness –I call it the joy of being- is found in simple, seemingly unremarkable things.”
About the author: Eckhart Tolle is a contemporary spiritual teacher who travels extensively, taking his message throughout the world. His bestselling spiritual guide, The Power of Now, inspired millions of readers to discover the freedom and joy lived “in the now.”